In addition to being a Ph.D. student, I am also a competetive runner! A question I get a lot is how I balance both parts of my life. I like to think of running and research as more of a symbiosis than a balancing act. I often think about my research problems while running and find that exercise helps me see problems from different perspectives. I'll return from runs excited to try out new ideas I had while coming down the mountain. On the flip side, my life as a researcher helps keep me from taking my training too seriously. Running isn't my job, so I try to keep it fun!
- 2022 Firenze (Florence) Marathon 6th/1st American and 1st European - 2:17:07 (OTQ)
- 2022 USA Road 50km National Champion
- 4th/1st American at the 2021 LA Marathon - 2:21:42
- 73rd at 2020 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials (Gold Label) - 2:21:54
- 28th at the 2019 Chicago Marathon (Major) - 2:15:26 (OTQ)
- 9th/1st American at the 2019 Ottawa Marathon (Gold Label) - 2:15:26
- 7th at the 2017 British University College and Sport Cross Country Championships
- 22nd at the 2017 English National Cross Country Championships
- Meet record holder for the 10k a the Cambridge/Oxford vs Harvard/Yale track meet - the oldest active athletics competition in the world
- 3rd at 2015 NCAA DIII Cross Country Championships
- 2nd (.007s from 1st) at 2015 NCAA DIII Track Championships 10k
- 8 time DIII All-American in Cross Country and Track (3k, 5k, 10k) competing for Williams College.
- Williams College 10k school record holder and past 5k and 3k school records.
- Marathon: 2:15:26 (Chicago 2019)
- Half-Marathon: 64:07 (RnR San Jose 2018)
- 10 km: 29:15 (Mt. SAC 2018)
- 5 km: 14:11 (BU Valentine Invite 2016)
- 3 km: 8:14 (NEICAAA Indoor Championships, BU)
- I maintain a website that uses statistical modeling to adjust cross country times based on the difficulty of the course. The website us used to generate rankings and simulate hypothetical races. Since its release in September, the website has had over 400,000 views and 8,000+ unique users.